Mecklenburg County, NC – The Mecklenburg County Department of Social Services is offering help to residents this winter by disbursing Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP) funds to eligible households. LIEAP is a federal social services program that assists low-income households with their immediate home energy needs, so they won’t have to choose between heating their homes and buying other necessities.
Qualified applicants can take advantage of this one-time, direct vendor payment in the amount of $300, $400 or $500, (depending on the primary heating source).
Households with at least one person age 60 or older or receiving disability benefits through the Division of Aging and Adult Services can apply Dec. 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021. All other households can apply Jan. 4 through March 31, 2021.
Eligible households must meet the following criteria:
- At least one eligible U.S. citizen or legal resident in the household
- Income at or below 130% of the federal poverty level (e.g., $16,584 or less for one or $34,056 or less for a family of four after deductions)
- Resources (e.g. savings, accessible retirement account, stocks, bonds, mutual funds) at or below $2,250
- Applicants must be responsible for the heating costs of the home
- You DO NOT have to be behind on your power or natural gas bill to receive assistance
Applications are available in English and Spanish. Completed applications can be:
- Emailed to LIEAP@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov
- Mailed to 301 Billingsley Road, Charlotte, NC 28211
- Dropped off at either one of our DSS locations located at 301 Billingsley Road, Charlotte NC, 28211 or the Community Resource Center at 3205 Freedom Drive, Suite 1000, Building A, Charlotte, NC 28208
Individuals who are homebound or unable to mail or drop off applications can contact J1C (Just 1 Call) at 704-432-1111 or the DSS Customer Connection Call Center at 704-336-3000 to complete the application by phone. Additional details are available at https://www.mecknc.gov/DSS/admin/Pages/Low-Income-Energy-Assistance-Program.aspx.